Three out of four Americans experience gum disease during the course of their life. The condition is common and treatable when detected early. However, when left untreated it can lead to pain, infection and eventual tooth and bone loss. We at Cypress Cosmetic & Family Dentisry believes in providing the best technology and techniques for optimal oral health.
HOW DID I GET GUM DISEASE?
There are many reasons you may be experiencing gum disease. The primary risk factors include:
- Age – If you are 65 or older you are at higher risk for gum disease
- Stress – Research has shown that stress impacts the body’s ability to fight infection, like gum disease.
- Smoking habits – Research has shown that smoking is one of the greatest risk factors for gum disease.
- Oral hygiene habits – Poor oral hygiene habits like not brushing and flossing can lead to infection below the gum line.
- Genetics – There are genetic factors that may put you at more risk for gum disease.
- Systemic Disease – Systemic issues like cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes can negatively impact the gums.
- Medication use – Many medications interfere with the body’s ability to produce saliva. Without saliva the gums and teeth are more vulnerable to bacterial infection.
WHY IS TREATING GUM DISEASE WITH A DENTAL LASER BETTER?
With conventional gum disease treatment methods not all bacteria are eliminated, so recurrence is a common problem. Laser therapy stops the infection and eradicates all bacteria leaving the gum pocket disease free. Tissue has time to heal and in some cases even reattaches to normal depth. As there is no need for incisions or stitches there is no bleeding or swelling. There is little to no discomfort during the procedure and provides a short recovery time.
Key benefits of laser therapy:
- No incisions or stitches
- No bleeding or swelling
- Minimal to no pain
- No gum recession
- No tooth sensitivity
- Actual regrowth of bone and attachment
- Reduction of deep pockets
- Patients that have diabetes, bleeding disorders or are on medications, such as blood thinners can be treated safely
If you have been diagnosed with gum disease or have the symptoms of gum disease, contact us at Cypress Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, (281) 304-4746
today. We offer convenient appointment times so you can start on the road to recovery – and spare the costly damage caused by untreated gum disease.